“Since 2011, Dissinger Reed has administered the NFHS’ insurance policy needs in an exemplary manner. I have seen first-hand how they have expanded our benefits package, provided more comprehensive coverages, and in the process, lowered our premiums. That is win-win.”
Protect your high school sports program with cost-effective risk management
We understand the unique risks that high school sports programs encounter. Our risk management approach and tailored insurance of athletics, organizations, teams, events, concussions, officials, coaches, camps/clinics and more allow us to provide unmatched coverage while controlling costs at all levels.
With contact sports and various student activities, state high school associations and individual high schools understand the value of catastrophic accident insurance. Our coverage includes both a mandatory catastrophic accident program and a voluntary catastrophic accident program.
What is catastrophic insurance?
- High-limit benefits for disabling injuries.
- Various benefit periods, including lifetime.
- Covers players while participating in a covered sport or activity. This includes practice and play, as well as covered travel.
- Benefits for the injured youth begin once the catastrophic deductible has been met.
- Includes an accidental death benefit.
Because accidents can happen during a regular school day, many individual schools and districts purchase basic school accident insurance.
What is Basic Accident Insurance?
- Covers all registered students, including coverage for preschool, kindergarten, elementary, junior high/middle and senior high schools.
- Boarding school students may be covered on a twenty-four-hour basis.
- Excess accident medical-only plans are available to both public and private schools, on a mandatory basis, and cover students while participating in all school sponsored and supervised activities on or off school premises.
- Coverage includes participation in interscholastic athletics, including tackle football.
- Coverage is provided during tryouts, pre-season play, practice, regular and post-season play.
- Sports-only plans are available.
- Custom plans are available for large school districts.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 15% of all U.S. highschool students self-reported one or more sports or recreation-related concussions in 2019.1 We understand today’s inherent risk of concussions within youth associations, leagues and teams. Providing young athletes with the most comprehensive neurological/concussion care will ensure your students are safe to return to the field, courts and classroom.
HeadStrong® was specifically developed to insure student athletes from the high cost of concussion treatment and neurological follow up that may be required. Program highlights include:
- $25,000 Accident medical concussion coverage (includes neurological follow up)
- $0 deductible and no co-pays
- $5,000 Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Telemed services provided, when needed
- No restrictions on specific doctors; no referrals needed for treatment
- No internal limits or specific procedure maximums
- A+ rated carrier with Financial XV backing
- $1.50 per participant (3,500 minimum participants to initiate coverage)
- Neurological follow up care, when medically necessary
When your participating organization takes part in the HeadStrong® Concussion Insurance Program™, your athletes are automatically covered with no underwriting process involved. Coverage is secondary/excess to any other valid and collectible insurance, but will become the primary payor, if no other insurance is available.
HeadStrong® is proudly insuring over 667,000 student athletes across the country. Find out how this exclusive program will not only ensure your young athletes are well covered in the case of a concussion but will also help protect the overall liability of your association, league or team.
1 Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Traumatic Brain Injury & Concussion, accessed October 17, 2022.
State high school associations are governing bodies involved in the organizing, sanctioning, direction or production of tournaments and all-star games. General liability and excess liability coverage provides protection against negligence while they conduct their primary duties.
General Liability Policy
- Various Aggregate Limits
- Participant Legal Liability
- Employee Benefits Liability
- Sexual Abuse & Molestation Liability
- Business Auto Liability
Excess Liability or Umbrella Policy
- Purchased alongside the General Liability Policy.
- Provides additional limits of insurance in excess of underlying liability policy.
- Ability to schedule other policies, as needed.
Directors and officers liability insurance is designed to provide protection for your association, its board and individuals against claims for “wrongful acts” while performing their duties. The policy can pay for losses, which associations or individuals become legally obligated to pay. These costs can include legal defense fees, even if the suit is settled out of court.
Some of the benefits may include:
- Retentions (deductibles) at various levels
- Policy aggregates from $1M and up
- Defense costs paid inside or outside of the policy limits
- Prior acts coverage
- Peer review/credentialing coverage
- Third-party claims
- Employment practices liability
- Fiduciary liability
- Volunteer coverage
State high school associations have unique needs and often require additional insurance. Our vast network of specialists can suggest the right insurance products to cover a variety of risks, including:
- Cyber Liability
- Crime Insurance
- Errors and Omissions Liability
- Media Liability
- Professional Medical Liability
- Staff Travel Accident
- Volunteer Accident Medical
For associations wanting to provide gap coverage in addition to their current catastrophic plan, or for those associations who do not currently offer a mandatory catastrophic plan, this accident medical policy can extend coverage to students for injuries sustained during tournament and post-season play.
Some of the benefits may include:
- Deductibles as low as $100.
- Excess medical maximum is customized to meet the needs of the association.
- Various benefit periods.
- Includes an accidental death benefit.
Our state high school associations know quality officials are vital to the success of athletic programs. With this in mind, we have created a comprehensive program for your association or league. Our officials program is strategically designed to cover all game officials while performing their officiating duties during scheduled games or competition.
Some of the types of coverage may include:
- General liability and excess liability
- Excess accident medical coverage
- Game fee reimbursement for lost wages
From football to golf and debate to orchestra, we understand the risks involved while running a camp or clinic. Our programs are designed with the individual coach and instructor in mind, offering the most comprehensive coverage in the market. Our camp and clinic programs include general liability and participant legal liability, which protect the policy holder from costly lawsuits and accident medical insurance and ensures coverage for young athletes when injuries occur.
Programs are available for any of these activities:
- Athletic day camps
- Commuter and overnight camps
- Non-school sponsored sports and activities
- Teaching clinics
- Supervised off-season workouts
- All-Star games
- Leagues and teams
As an athletic trainer, you work extremely hard to take care of your student athletes and teams. It is also important to protect your own interests while performing your various duties, and insurance can play a key role. Our comprehensive professional liability insurance helps protect athletic trainers and other fitness and rehabilitation professionals. It is tailored to your needs and follows you wherever you practice, so that you can focus on your athletes while we protect your personal assets, license and reputation.
Looking for more information about how to protect your high school?
Find out how our education insurance specialists can create a customized risk management, insurance and benefits strategy to protect your mission, students, staff and reputation.Find out more
Why Athletic Insurance Data Is the Right Play for Sports Programs
Athletic departments that get assists from their insurance brokers through analytics can lower medical costs. Learn more about athletic insurance data with HUB!Learn More
Learn more about our high school sports insurance
Every high school and their governing bodies must consider multiple risks when developing their athletic program. That’s why it’s important to work with specialists who understand and can help mitigate those risks.