“Dissinger Reed was invaluable in securing an intercollegiate injury coverage on our campus-wide health insurance plan. The ability to put a majority of our athletic claims through our GCU student health insurance plan has decreased our concern with the everchanging primary insurance market. It was a win-win for athletics as well as our student population.”
Tailor your insurance to the unique risks faced by athletic teams
Our approach is not just about coverage; it’s about risk management to help avoid a crisis before it happens. We surround our athletic programs with a holistic look at possible liabilities and build coverage to support them should the need arise.
Now, more than ever, it is imperative that every college and university have a catastrophic medical plan in place. With surgeries and procedure costs at all-time highs, the catastrophic deductible levels are never out of reach.
We can provide a comprehensive review of your current catastrophic plan and recommend any necessary modifications. Each institution has the right to select its own carrier and plan design.
Plan benefits can include:
- $25,000 deductible for NJCAA schools ($35,000 and $50,000 deductible/medical maximums also available)
- 5-year, 10-year or lifetime benefit options available
- Catastrophic maximums from $1,000,000 to $7,500,000
- Defined benefits available (college education, home remodeling, vehicle adaptation, etc.)
We can also tailor a custom catastrophic insurance plan if your specific need does not fit the traditional limits/design.
We understand the changing landscape of primary insurance and how the current legislation has changed your out-of-pocket expenses. The importance of primary athletic insurance is at an all-time high and we can help you with the constantly changing individual health insurance marketplace.
As more colleges and universities are requiring student athletes to have some form of primary insurance in place, our team of sports insurance experts are here to assist you in finding an economical, comprehensive plan that covers intercollegiate athletic injuries. This includes:
- Short term medical insurance
- PPACA compliant plans
- Accident-only medical insurance (no sickness)
- Campus-wide Mandatory Student Accident Plan (MSAP)
Our sports practice professionals are true experts when it comes to customizing college and university athletic insurance programs. We actively listen to our clients and their specific needs so that we can deliver detailed and comprehensive basic athletic insurance programs.
Specific options for individual institutions can include:
- Ability to provide quotes from numerous insurance carriers
- Fully insured, aggregate deductible and complete self-insurance programs
- Maximums up to $90,000 for NCAA institutions, $35,000 for NAIA schools, $25,000 for NJCAA and two-year institutions
- Deductibles at any level
- Primary insurance verification using Coverage Backer™
- Coverage benefits that can include expanded medical benefits; HMO/PPO benefits; heart and circulatory and pre-existing condition benefits; Prospective Student Athlete (PSA) and guest and recruit coverage
- High limit accident death and dismemberment
- Catastrophic cash benefits
- Online claims review and management 24 hours a day
- Third-party administrator opportunities for repricing and provider fee scheduling
- Cheerleading/dance/band coverage
International student athletes have become a large part of the college/university student body. In most cases, the individual institution (or state) will dictate if your international insurance plan must comply with the U.S. Healthcare reform laws. Either way, we can specifically tailor a program to fit the needs of your international students while offering the most affordable rates.
With plans customized for F-1 and J-1 international students studying in the United States, or U.S. students who are studying abroad, we can offer the highest quality of coverage for every travel need. Some of the highlights of the international student plans include:
- Medical maximums starting at $500,000 and up to unlimited coverage
- Coverage for intercollegiate athletics (up to $20,000)
- Medical evacuation (exceeds federal minimums)
- Medical repatriation (exceeds federal minimums)
- Emergency reunion (exceeds federal minimums)
- Maternity and mental health coverage available
- Prescription coverage available
- Affordable Care Act compliant plans available
Coverage Backer™ is a unique product designed to protect your secondary insurance plan by verifying whether primary insurance is truly in place and active. Here are some of the benefits Coverage Backer™ can offer your institution:
- Affordable: For $0.75 per student, Coverage Backer™ verifies whether your student athletes’ primary insurance policies are active.
- Simple: All that is needed is a spreadsheet with your student athlete’s primary insurance information.
- Fast reporting: Within 24 hours, we will deliver a customized report showing deductible information and the validity of your athlete’s coverage.
Our mission is to provide the most comprehensive care for students and athletes while bringing the mental health discussion to the forefront and helping eliminate the stigma associated with these issues. HUB and Dissinger Reed offer a customized mental health solution that allows enrolled students and student-athletes access to licensed therapists through Talkspace®’s online messaging therapy.
With Talkspace®, students can send their dedicated therapists unlimited text, video, picture and audio messages from anywhere, at any time, using the device or method in which they are most comfortable. For many of the colleges and universities, this service compliments existing on-campus resources and counselors in their deep commitment to provide multi-faceted mental health solutions.
- Secure, HIPAA-compliant and confidential web and mobile platform
- Online platform for behavioral therapy via text, voice or video message
- Access to over 5,000 licensed behavioral health therapists across the United States
- Therapists engage with clients daily, five days a week
- Individualized treatment plan, goal setting and monitoring of outcomes
- Messaging therapy has been shown to be effective for most common issues that represent over 85% of behavior health concerns: depression, anxiety, substance misuse, PTSD, stress, grief and relationship issues
- Customized mental health programs for student-athletes and for all students, campus-wide
Talkspace® is a telebehavioral healthcare company. Its signature psychotherapy product connects individual users with a network of over 5,000 licensed therapists through an easy-to-use and HIPAA-compliant web and mobile platform. Talkspace® also provides psychiatry services, including prescription fulfillment.
Our exclusive partnership with Talkspace® provides a discounted rate to our clients and potential clients.
Every athletic department has varying risks and specialty needs. We can help with unique products and coverage options.
EZRx – Pharmacy Discount Program
- Discounts student athlete pharmacy charges up to 50%
- Eliminates copay and deductible payments
- No out-of-pocket cost to institution
- Utilizes your current local pharmacies
Cheerleading/Dance Catastrophic Insurance
- Lifetime benefits ranging from $1,000,000 to $5,000,000
- Deductibles from $25,000 to $90,000
- Coverage for offsite competitions and non-sanctioned, supervised events
- Travel coverage included
Athletic Camps & Clinics
- General Liability Coverage with Sexual Abuse
- Participant Legal Liability Coverage
- Accident Medical Coverage
High Limit Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Up to $250,000 death benefit per student athlete
- $25,000,000 aggregate per team travel
Catastrophic Cash Benefits
- Coverage for brain death, paralysis or coma
- Benefits from $1,000,000 to $10,000,000
- Cash benefits are not offset by other valid insurance
Athletic Department Travel Accident
- Coverage for athletic department staff, family members and those traveling on behalf of the institution
- High Limit Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- Both first dollar coverage and high deductible plans are available for any/all club and intramural sports
- Limited or lifetime benefits can be customized for any institution
NFL/NBA Draft Protection
- Disability payments in the event of a career-ending injury
- Benefits range from $1,000,000 to $10,000,000
- Premium financing available
Loss of Value Insurance
- Coverage for elite athletes who experience diminished ability due to injury
- Loss of Value amounts up to $25,000,000
Participant Legal Liability
- Coverage protecting the college or university should a participant bring litigation (most General Liability policies exclude Participant Legal Liability)
- Participants include home team, visiting team, officials and game workers
- Available for intercollegiate or intramural athletic activities
Event Cancellation/Loss of Revenue Insurance
- Protects the institution when unforeseen events cause the postponement or cancellation of a covered game or event
- Reimbursement provided for ticket revenue, concession sales, advertising, etc.
- Specific coverage for weather-related claims or terrorist activity
- General Liability Coverage with no aggregate
- Accident Medical Coverage at any level
- Directors & Officers Coverage
Coaches Bonus/Incentive Insurance
Contracts are becoming more and more important in collegiate athletics. A good contract with plenty of incentive can help retain top coaching talent but can also cost the university an extraordinary unbudgeted capital when the milestones are achieved. Low-cost insurance can protect your budget and make those bonus payouts for you.
- Budget-able expenses
- Covers teams’ performance achievements, as well as academic benchmarks
- Premium based on which coaches you would like to include and a schedule of their bonuses
- Coverage also available to protect the future contractual obligations paid to a coach when their results fail to meet the expectations of the collegiate athletic program. Loss of value amounts up to $10M
Telemedicine and Student Assist Programs
- Telehealth: Online counseling program available with certified counselors for students via the web or mobile app (depression, anxiety, stress, eating disorder, etc.). Does not prescribe medications.
- Telemedicine: Board-certified physicians available 24/7/365 for phone or online consultations. Prescriptions for acute illnesses sent to the pharmacy of choice if warranted (allergies, bronchitis, sinusitis, strep throat, etc.).
- Student assist program coordinates a network of services such as mental health counseling, financial and legal advice, mediation, etc., with licensed clinicians, CPAs and certified financial planners.
As an athletic trainer, you work extremely hard to take care of your student-athletes and teams. It is also important to protect your own interests while performing your various duties and insurance can play a key role. With our partner CM&F, we bring athletic trainers, as well as other fitness and rehabilitation professionals, comprehensive and affordable professional liability insurance. It is tailored to your needs and follows you wherever you practice. You can focus on your athletes while we protect your personal assets, license and reputation.
Coverage benefits for athletic trainers include:
- Premiums as low as $220/year employed and $1,214/year self-employed.
- Full-time, part-time, telehealth and moonlighting coverage, portable wherever your standard operating procedure takes you.
- Full consent to settle: Some individual policies do not allow the athletic trainer to consent within a given litigation matter.
- Defense/legal costs covered in addition to indemnity payment, while having access to your own attorney (defense costs are not inside your liability coverage limit).
- Recognizing the hands-on nature of athletic trainer services, CM&F offers up to $25,000 in defense coverage for any sexual misconduct claims.
- Coverage allows additional insureds at any time and with no additional cost.
Our Collegiate Bowl Game coverage can encompass all your game day concerns. Liability, accident medical, liquor, spectator coverage, property, inland marine and Directors & Officers are all available through our comprehensive programs.
Looking for more information about how we can help protect your school?
Our education insurance specialists bring a deep understanding of the needs of educational institutions and a holistic approach to risk, talent and reputation management.Find out more
5 Ways to Help Cut Secondary Insurance Costs in College Athletics
Athletic departments that get assists from their insurance brokers through analytics can lower medical costs. Learn more about athletic insurance data with HUB!Learn More
Learn more about our intercollegiate sports insurance
To keep your athletic department running smoothly so that you can focus on your teams’ performance, you need to work with specialists who understand the sports industry.